Process, Payment, and Timing
A deposit of 50% is due at the time of booking (signing of the contract), with remaining 50% due upon delivery of the manuscript. You will receive a 10% discount for edits (20% for coaching) if you pay in full at the time of booking. I accept personal checks, as well as most major credit and debit cards via Paypal.
- E-mail me at email@example.com, including the following information: your name, phone number, and e-mail address; the text’s genre or specialty/purpose and intended audience; and the editing service(s) you desire. Be sure to attach your document(s) to the e-mail.
- I will respond within 7 days. My response will include an invoice and a contract specifying (1) date by which the edit will be complete (first round for a development edit), (2) services to be performed, and (3) confirmation of total cost. If I cannot take your work on for any reason, I will refer you to someone else.
- You have 7 days to return the contract, confirm due date, and make initial payment. Please note that the completion date I provide is guaranteed for only 7 days. If initial payment is not made and contract signed within 7 days, your manuscript’s place in my queue will likely change.
- Within 48 hours of receiving payment, I will provide you with a receipt and will again confirm delivery date of the manuscript (critique letter for coaching).
- I will return marked-up files to you as soon as I have completed the edit. (In the unlikely event that I return an edit after midnight Eastern time of the due date, I will refund 10% of the editing fee you paid. If I return the project more than 7 days late, I provide a 20% discount.)
- Most projects (first round of a development edit) will be complete within 8 weeks of booking. The shorter the document and/or the less complicated the service, the faster the turnaround time.
- For further help, you can view my coaching and editing contracts.
Still not sure I’m the right match for you?
I am happy to perform a complimentary sample copyedit of up to 3,000 words (about 10 double-spaced pages in 12-point font) for most manuscripts (fewer for a children’s book), along with one or two paragraphs recommending a level of service. Please send your entire manuscript.